The 2022 Murph Challenge Day 5: Duke Lucia

As a parent, most of our biggest fears surround something life threatening happening to our kids. We hear or know a story that makes our heart hurt thinking of the family or it happening to our own child. To live it day in and day out though, it’s not something most of us cannot comprehend.

Meet Duke, a strong and brave 2 1/2 year old boy who was diagnosed with Medullablastoma tumor and Stage 4 Brain Cancer. His diagnosis came after several months of what appeared to be a sprained ankle that lead to him not being able to walk, weight loss and headaches. He had his first brain surgery on 2/22/2022 to remove and investigate the tumor. Soon after he began chemotherapy.

On June 7th he has an MRI to show the progress the chemo has made. He then starts stem cell transplant process on June 10th. Depending on how things go, he will be under regular treatment until the Fall.

His parents, Damian and Jeanna, hold firm in their faith and belief that Duke will continue to persevere. Jeanna says, “my biggest takeaways from this journey is his resiliency, and how much of a fight he puts up with. This has made all of our families and faith stronger and gives us light at the end of the tunnel every day that he keeps fighting.”

I know almost all of you are reading this story of Duke, are hearing it for the first time. Our ask of you is to leave a comment of encouragement below and/or share this message to extend prayers to him and his family as they navigate the challenging road ahead.

Thank you to an old friend, Erica, for nominating this inspiring fighter and family. She said, “I’ve been hoping to find some way to help this family beyond prayer and then I saw your Facebook post to nominate a fighter and I felt like my prayers have been heard.”

Let’s get more prayers answered by lifting up Duke.

We are blessed and grateful to dedicate Day 5 of 32 to our new friend and incredible warrior, Duke Lucia. Murph: 29:39

When I did the Murph Challenge for the first time I became hooked. Not because it was fun but because it was painful, challenging, and meaningful.

These 31 challenges are a dedication to a fighter, a warrior, a person battling that’s an everyday hero.

– Tate Wheeler

“The Murph Challenge is more than just a workout. It is a tradition that helps push us, humble us, and allows us the opportunity to dedicate a bit of pain and sweat to honor, LT. Michael P. Murphy, a man who sacrificed everything he had for our freedom.”

-Murph Website

The 2022 Murph Challenge Day 4: Sheri Grube

“We rise by lifting others.”

Have you ever met one of those people that is always lifting up others even though the challenges they are facing would make you think they are the ones that would need the lift? Today’s dedication is for one of those incredible people.

“Fighting every day is at Sheri’s core. Dystonia tries to take her down but she gets right back up. She lives excellence whether it is in the gym or art studio. She knows every day is an opportunity to fight. Plus everyday is an opportunity to fight along side someone who may need a little extra encouragement . She welcomes all into her corner or is ready to join you in your corner. Sheri has a gift and she makes the world a kinder place.”
-Jean (friend and 2021 nominee)

Dystonia is a movement disorder in which a person’s muscles contract uncontrollably. Almost a quarter million people in the U.S. are battling it with no current cure.

Along with her passion to help others, Sheri is an incredible artist with multiple paintings inspired by passion and healing through trauma. She has had entire exhibits featuring her work with sales going directly to the Dystonia Medical Research Fund.

It’s our pleasure to dedicate Day 4 of 32 to our amazing, talented, incredible friend Sheri Grube. Team Murph: 25:26

The 2022 Murph Challenge Day 3: Kyler Deschampe

Today, suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 15-34 and third in ages 10-14. 1 in 4 people in America experience a mental illness. Mental Health is not a one size fits all conversation – just like life, everyone has their own story to tell.

Today we remember and dedicate a day to Kyler Deschampe. A story that ended too soon as a 17 year old who died by suicide.

“There are people in this life that carry their pain on their sleeve, others solely in their heart, and some in such a way that they can turn it into magic. Kyler Deschampe, forever 17 years old, is one of those magical people. Kyler battled depression, anxiety, and the kind of hardships that many people choose to believe don’t exist. Kyler turned his pain into charisma, loyalty, laughter, and so much more. Kyler didn’t get the childhood he deserved but he gave it everything he had.

If you were a friend of Kyler’s, you know that he’s walking along side us all, because he’s the kind of guy that has your back forever. The last time I saw him he told me to take care of myself. Those words haunt me, because I just wish the world could’ve taken care of him. By ending the stigma around mental health, we can start to take better care of our people hurting. We must educate ourselves, advocate for others, and ensure that the people we love know they’re loved so we don’t lose any more magic in this world. I love you, Kyler.”
– Krystal B.

Day 3 of 32 dedicated to honor and remember Kyler Deschampe. Team Murph: 40:17

When I did the Murph Challenge for the first time I became hooked. Not because it was fun but because it was painful, challenging, and meaningful.

These 31 challenges are a dedication to a fighter, a warrior, a person battling that’s an everyday hero.

– Tate Wheeler

“The Murph Challenge is more than just a workout. It is a tradition that helps push us, humble us, and allows us the opportunity to dedicate a bit of pain and sweat to honor, LT. Michael P. Murphy, a man who sacrificed everything he had for our freedom.”

-Murph Website

The 2022 Murph Challenge Day 2: Kayla Stotz

“Victory is sweetest where the battle is greatest, and that is how life is. When you look at all you have overcome to win the hardest battle, you will be more than proud of yourself.”

Kayla has been a friend and member of our health club for almost 5 years. We’ve watched her kids Dane and Piper grow up as they always tagged along as her sidekicks for class and training. Our health club is a place where Kayla got stronger physically, but also fights back against mental health as well.

Over the last couple years Kayla had been searching for answers with health challenges she had been facing. After being a continued advocate for her health she finally got an answer. Unfortunately, it was an answer that none of us wanted to hear….cancer.

When she shared the news, we knew that she would attack her Hodgkin Lymphoma battle with every ounce of strength in her body. We knew she would turn that diagnosis into determination.

“She is an amazing mother, wife, and friend. Even after her diagnosis, she stayed exactly that way. She never complained about any of what she was going through and kept a positive outlook on her situation.” – Kylee (friend and trainer)

For anyone that has taken class with Kayla over the years….she’s not big in stature but packs one helluva punch. She gives non-stop effort and grit in every class.

“It’s been a journey for sure! As hard as it was, I also found it rewarding seeing my strength and watching myself grow as a person through this experience. I’ve learned a lot about myself! Thank you for your continued support, love, prayers & for always being in my corner! I couldn’t have asked for a more supportive group of friends & family through chemo!”
– Kayla

After years of uncertainty and unanswered questions about her health, to 6 months of chemo and radiation battling cancer, Kayla heard an amazing word last month: Remission! There is still work ahead, but this woman exemplifies strength and toughness. She earned her victory hands.

Day 2 of 32 dedicated to our friend Kayla Stotz. Team Murph: 26:25

– Tate Wheeler

-Murph Website

Search Every Day We Fight